2 June 2023

Man facing attempted murder charge after Weipa incident

| Matt Nicholls

A MAPOON man will be charged with attempted murder after a “terrifying” incident in Weipa on the weekend.

Police will allege the 31-year-old man used his vehicle to chase after a woman, running her and her passengers off the road and into a power pole on McLeod Drive in Rocky Point.

“It must have been a terrifying experience for her,” said Detective Senior Sergeant Brett Devine, who flew to Weipa on Sunday to lead the investigation.

He said the alleged incident occurred around 8.30am on Saturday, May 27.

“Weipa police responded to what they believed to be a two-vehicle traffic accident and when they arrived they observed a vehicle had collided with a power pole,” Det Snr Sgt Devine said.

“They also saw that an additional vehicle was also involved in the incident.

“On arrival, a male person was walking across the road with a large knife in his hand. He was seen to be injuring himself with the knife.

“Police responded to the threat and took the man into custody immediately.”

Cape York Weekly understands police had to taser the man in order to disarm him.

Det Snr Sgt Devine said police notified Queensland Ambulance Service and other emergency services to take care of the female driver and her two passengers, as well as the alleged offender.

“Police will allege that he was attempting to seriously injure the driver of the vehicle and he will be charged with attempted murder, vehicle-related offences, including the dangerous operations of a motor vehicle, as well as driving while under the influence of alcohol,” he said.

“We will also allege that he was chasing the vehicle (a Mazda hatchback) in his Toyota Landcruiser single cab.”

The female driver was taken to Weipa Hospital for treatment and then flown to Townsville. She is conscious and has given police an account of the incident.

The alleged offender is now in custody in Cairns Hospital and has been charged with domestic violence offences, Det Snr Sgt Devine said.

“Once he is discharged from hospital he will be charged with a range of other offences, including attempted murder, and taken to the Cairns Watchhouse.”


The first responders to the incident likely saved two lives, said Det Snr Sgt Devine, who has been the leading detective on the Tablelands for two decades.

“In my opinion, the actions of the first response officers most certainly saved the life of the alleged offender and, highly likely, the female driver of the vehicle,” he said.

“They did a great job in difficult circumstances.”

The veteran cop also praised the actions of the members of the public who rendered assistance to the injured people in the car and called Triple Zero.

“It would have been quite scary for them,” he said.

There was an interruption to power in parts of Rocky Point on Saturday morning as a result of the incident, with Rio Tinto crews working with emergency services to restore services in a safe and timely manner.

Cape York Weekly

Subscribe to get the latest edition of Cape York Weekly in your inbox each Monday.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Cape York Weekly's terms and conditions and privacy policy.