10 May 2023

Woman's body was found by neighbour mowing lawn

| Matt Nicholls and Sarah Martin
Start the conversation

Police tape surrounded the scene at a Marton property on Tuesday.

A MAJOR police investigation into the death of a 38-year-old Marton woman was sparked when her neighbour stumbled upon her body while mowing the lawn on Monday.

Police are still unsure of the well-known woman’s cause of death, Detective Acting Inspector Jason Chetham said on Friday.

“It’s a sudden death and we don’t know the full circumstances,” he told a media conference in Cairns.

“We’ve got a lot of resources up there. Detectives and forensic staff have been up there for several days. At this point in time, we’re still asking for members of the public to come forward with information they may have that’s related to that young lady’s death.

“We’re unable to go into any details about how she died. We don’t have a cause of death at the moment. We’re still investigating that.

“She was found deceased by a neighbour on Monday afternoon in some grassland.

“(The houses) are not fenced, so it’s sort of a continuation of one property to the next. The neighbour was mowing on Monday afternoon and came across the deceased.”

Detective Acting Inspector Jason Chetham at a press conference in Cairns on Friday.

However, Detective Acting Inspector Chetham said police believed the woman died on Sunday night.

He also confirmed that police had been called to a disturbance in the Marton area that same night, however were unable to locate the disturbance.

“Police attended in the vicinity (on Sunday night) but not to that address and were unable to locate the disturbance,” Detective Acting Inspector Chetham said.

“At the time we didn’t have the address of the house.”

Police were called due to “raised voices and an argument,” Detective Acting Inspector Chetham said.

The deceased woman’s partner has been cooperating with police and was admitted to hospital on Monday after he called an ambulance for a potential snake bite.

“He’s been speaking to us throughout this investigation and provided some very simple points of information to us,” Detective Acting Inspector Chetham said.

“He went to the hospital via QAS (Queensland Ambulance Service) on Monday morning. He called for assistance in relation to a potential snakebite. And he was admitted to Cooktown Hospital on Monday morning for treatment there.”

Police in Marton earlier this week.

Police are going to great lengths to investigate the death, with detectives from the Tablelands and Cairns joining up with the dog squad and forensic specialists in Marton.

Officers have also requested a potential witness to return to Cooktown for questioning.

“We have identified some people we want to speak to about this inquiry, and some are out of Cooktown and we are making those arrangements as we speak,” Detective Acting Inspector Chetham said.

“There is a person we want to speak to a potential witness who’s at sea.”

Police are still waiting for the final autopsy report.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Start the conversation

Cape York Weekly

Subscribe to get the latest edition of Cape York Weekly in your inbox each Monday.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Cape York Weekly's terms and conditions and privacy policy.