26 September 2023

Cape York farmer lives to tell tale after taipan bite

| Cape York Weekly
Start the conversation

Tom Jones was hospitalised after a bite from a coastal taipan on his farm.

A CAPE York farmer who was hospitalised after being bitten by one of the world’s most venomous snakes initially thought he had trodden on a thorny weed hidden in the grass in his backyard.

Tom Jones, 66, had just finished a long morning of work at his farm about 35km outside of Cooktown and was ready to relax at home, when he spotted a sprinkler in his yard that needed to be shifted.

Mr Jones ventured a short distance out into the yard, barefoot, when he felt a sharp pain on the side of his big toe on his left foot as he walked past a patch of long grass.

“It felt like I’d trodden on sensitive weed, but I couldn’t see any of it anywhere,” he said.

“There was a split second where I thought ‘hang on, my foot was lifted off the ground when this happened’, and it didn’t add up.

“I looked around and there he was behind me: his body zigzag shaped, with his head up in the air.

“I just took a few seconds to have a look at him: the shape of his head, the colour of him, and things like that.

“I thought ‘bloody hell, I know what’s happening here’ – I’d been bitten by a taipan.”

The coastal taipan, which is found throughout north-eastern Queensland, is a dangerously venomous species with strongly neurotoxic venom.

It possesses the third most toxic land snake venom known, and many human deaths have resulted from bites by this species.

Mr Jones administered first aid on himself, wrapping his leg up tightly in a compression bandage.

He then drove himself to Cooktown Hospital.

After receiving emergency care, he was kept in hospital for observation. Clinicians initially believed he had received a ‘dry’ bite, without venom being injected into his bloodstream by the snake’s sharp fangs.

About 10 hours later, however, things took a turn for the worse.

“I started getting double vision and then they realised I’d been envenomated,” Mr Jones said.

“The Royal Flying Doctor Service came, and they ran me to the airport. I was in Cairns (Hospital) within about 15 minutes.”

At Cairns Hospital, Mr Jones’ condition had deteriorated further as the strong venom from the snake took hold within his blood, affecting its ability to clot.

“I couldn’t maintain blood pressure, and there was bleeding in my mouth,” he said.

“That’s when they decided to give me the antivenom.”

Once the antivenom was administered to Mr Jones, he described the feeling as having “the worst hangover in the world”.

“I had sweat pouring off me as soon as they started pumping the antivenom into me,’ he said.

“Once they got it in there, I was still crook, but I felt better – it was a hungover feeling: the worst you’ve ever had. And the feeling didn’t go away.

“They ended up giving me medication for the nausea, but I still had double vision, and felt sick in the gut. I couldn’t open my eyelids and couldn’t swallow properly.

“But by the next morning, things were much better.”

Cairns Hospital toxicologist Dr Mark Little said Mr Jones was lucky to survive the snake bite, as taipan venom could cause bleeding, muscle breakdown, as well as paralysis.

“Tom potentially had a number of life-threatening complications due to his taipan bite,” he said.

Mr Jones was under no illusion about how lucky he was to have survived his taipan encounter.

“Dr Little told me to go and buy a lottery ticket,” he said.

Story supplied by Cairns and Hinterland Health Service

Start the conversation

Cape York Weekly

Subscribe to get the latest edition of Cape York Weekly in your inbox each Monday.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Cape York Weekly's terms and conditions and privacy policy.